The Chemistry subject is considered to be one of the easiest subject out of the three subject. You need to hold the tight grip in the complete syllabus of Chemistry which revolves around the bond formation, breaking and a periodic table. Being one of the important subjects in JEE Main examination, Chemistry consists of particularly three sections i.e. Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry. By adopting a selective study approach in the Chemistry, you can aim to get a well score in the subject.
There are two phases of Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) which includes JEE Main and JEE Advanced. To get admission in one of the reputed engineering colleges, you are supposed to crack JEE Exam and need to focus on all the three subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
JEE Main Exam 2019 Chemistry Syllabus
For ease and smoother process of preparation, we have compiled the detailed JEE Main syllabus by NTA and all important topics of Chemistry in order to help you in your preparation. Chemistry is divided into three sections:
- Organic Chemistry-Hoe Carbonyl groups react and their mechanisms. This section has 34.7% weightage.
- Inorganic Chemistry- Chemical Bonding and Periodic Table. This section has 29.7 % weightage
- Physical Chemistry-Redox reactions, Mole Concept, Thermodynamics and Thermochemistry. This section has 36.5 % weightage
Overall View of Topics Chemistry
|High Weightage Topics||Low Weightage Topics|
|1. Chemical Bonding
2. Periodic Table
3. Atomic Structure
4. Aromatic Compounds
5. Gaseous and Liquid State
7. Chemical Kinetics
8. General Organic Chemistry
10. Carboxylic Acids and derivations
|1. Chemical Equilibrium
2. Redox and Volumetric Analysis
5. Mole Concept
6. Nitrogen Compounds and Aliphatic Amines
7. Ionic Equilibrium
8. Biomolecules and Polymers
Important Topics for JEE Main -Chemistry
Working hard on Chemistry will going to give you fruitful results. Some questions in Chemistry are so easy that you don’t need to uplift your pen. Chemistry is really scoring subject if you just focus on making your concepts clear. Let us now look at the chapter-wise weightage of each section in Chemistry.
You will find most of the topics of Physical Chemistry from class 11th. The tabulated form provides overall weightage of the topics out of 120 marks.
|Topics from Physical Chemistry||Weightage|
|Redox and Electrochemistry||2.67|
|States of Matter and Solutions||7.33|
Important Chapters in Physical Chemistry are:
- Surface Chemistry- Which includes Catalysis, Absorption- Mechanism, Types and Isotherms and Colloids and Emulsions.
- Chemical Kinetics- Include Integrated rate equations, Arrhenius Equation, Radioactivity and Nuclear Reactions and rate, order and Molecularity of a reaction.
- Thermodynamics and Thermochemistry- Includes Gibb’s Energy and spontaneity, Enthalpy change of various type of reactions, and Enthalpy and Heat Capacity.
- Basic Concept-Laws of Chemical Combination and Mole Concept & Stoichiometry.
- Redox and Electrochemistry- Electrolytic cells and product of electrolysis, Galvanic Cells: features and electrode potential, and Conductance of Electrolytic Solutions
- States of Matter and Solutions- Gas Law, Defects in Solids, Close-packed structures and voids, Crystal lattice and unit cells.
- Equilibrium- Acids, Bases and Concepts of PH, Factors affecting equilibrium, Law of Chemical equilibrium and equilibrium constant.
- Atomic Structure- Quantum Atomic Model, Bohr’s model of Hydrogen and Hydrogen like-species, Dual Nature of Radiation.
The section is the rank decider for JEE Main exam. The weightage of the topics in Organic Chemistry are:
|Topics of Organic Chemistry||Weightage|
|O Containing Compounds||8.33|
|N Containing Compounds||3.00|
|Environmental and Everyday Chemistry||1.67|
|Hydrocarbons and its Substituents||6.33|
|Biomolecules and Polymers||5.67|
Important Chapters in Organic Chemistry are:
- Oxygen-Containing Compounds- Alcohols, Phenols and Ether, Carboxylic Acids and their Derivations and Aldehydes and Ketones
- Nitrogen-Containing Compounds- Amines and Diazonium Salts.
- Basic Principles- Structure and Nomenclature of Organic Compounds, Electronic Displacement Effects in Covalent Bonds and Structural and Stereoisomerism in Organic Compounds.
- Environmental and Everyday Chemistry-Drugs, Soaps and Detergents.
- Hydrocarbons and Substituents-Structure, Physical and Chemical Properties of Alkanes, Alkenes, Benzene, Haloarenes.
- Biomolecules and Polymers-Nucleic Acids, Proteins and Enzymes and Monosaccharides.
NCERT is considered as best book for Inorganic Chemistry. Let’s check the weightage of the topics in Inorganic Chemistry:
|Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure||7.33|
|Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties||3.00|
|D-F Block Elements||8.33|
|Hydrogen and S Block Elements||4.33|
Important Topics in Inorganic Chemistry.
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure- VSEPR Theory, Molecular Orbital Theory and Ionic and Covalent Bonding and Bond parameters.
- Coordination Compounds- Werner’s theory, Valence bond theory and Crystal Field Theory and IUPAC Nomenclature and Isomerism of Coordination Compounds
- Extraction of Metals- Processes of extraction of Metals from their ores and Thermodynamics and Electrochemical principles of metallurgy
- Classification of Elements- Modern Periodic Table and Periodic Trends in Properties of Elements
- D and F Block Elements- General trends in Physical and Chemical Properties of Transition Elements and Important Compounds of Transition Elements
- Hydrogen and S Block Elements- Hydrides, General Characteristics of Compounds of S block, Important Compounds of S Block Elements and Water and Hydrogen peroxide
- Practical Chemistry- Acids and Bases uses of Indicators, Chemical Principles involved in Qualitative Salt Analysis and Qualitative and Quantitative analysis of Organic Compounds
- P-Block Elements- General Trends in the Properties of Compounds of P block Elements, Important Compounds of Boron, Carbon and Silicon.
Here we have compiled all the important chapters from all the three sections of the Chemistry.
Don’t forget to download JEE preparation app. It provides free study material, quizzes, mock test, previous year papers, and all the updates related JEE exam.